One Citizen One Tree
Welcome to the One Tree One Citizen Campaign
We are on a journey to transform our state into the beautiful place it once was, a place where you can meet amazing people, get fresh air and live in unity with nature, and together we can get there. Plant a tree now, grow your own source of oxygen, adopt it, take care of it, and watch it grow together with you.
Some interesting FACT about trees
Did you know?
- • Meghalaya's forest is declining at an alarming rate. Currently, Meghalaya has an area of 22,428 sq.km of which only 453 sq.km is dense forest while 9,386 sq.Km is moderately dense forest
- • Between 2015 and 2017, we lost 116 sq. km. of forest. That is approximately twice the size of Shillong, thirteen times that of Jowai and six times the area of Tura.
- • Trees are a source of the oxygen which is essential for us to live. A single mature tree produces enough oxygen to support two people for an entire year. Amazing!
- • Trees also absorb the carbon dioxide, which is a Green House Gas that if present in plenty, can trap the heat of the sun and raise the temperature of our planet leading to global warming
Why should you plant and adopt a tree?
Trees are a source of oxygen and therefore a source of all life. By planting and adopting a tree, you are producing oxygen not only for yourself, but also for all the other animals living on our planet. Trees need your help so they can survive their first few years of growth when they are most vulnerable.
Other benefits of planting a tree
- 1. Trees help lower the temperature of your surroundings so you can always stay cool!
- 2. Trees trap dusts and toxins and keeps the air fresh
- 3. Trees provide fruits, wood and other useful items for free!
- 4. Trees provide a home for many birds and tiny insects, so we’ll always have company around
- 5. Trees hold the soil together - thanks to trees, we don’t have to live in sandy deserts
- 6. Finally, did you know that the sight of trees can reduce stress and anxiety? Well it does!
Here is how you can participate.
- Step 1: Register with us. Click here to register (Note:You can also register by visiting our nearest BDU or EFC.)
- Step 2: Locate the nearest community managed nursery to collect your free sapling. Click here for a list of Nurseries
- Step 3: Learn how to plant and take care of your tree. Click here to download our manuals
- Step 4: Find a suitable location close to your home or workplace
- Step 5: Plant your very own tree
- Step 6: Take care of your tree. Follow the simple steps given in the manual.
- Step 7: Share your story along with pictures with us and we will share with the world.
Any Questions or want to share your story?
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Write to us at
Meghalaya Basin Development Authority,
Upper Nongrim Hills,
Hurry up and join us now!!!